Friday 28 July 2017

Tanzania: On The Go!

Team Tanzania 2017 has been on the go with our first distribution today in Gogo! 785 children and their families are sleeping better tonight thanks to the many donors who make this all possible.


Our bright-eyed team departed Toronto Pearson Airport on Tuesday, and we arrived in Dar es Salaam Wednesday afternoon (not as bushy-tailed). After claiming our luggage, we were immediately greeted by the big smiles and open arms of Mama Wandoa, Benjamin and Wendy. No time to spare, we jumped right into business, visiting Mama Wandoa’s house which housed the backpacks full of bedkit goodies, and met with one of the men responsible for sewing garments and backpacks for the bedkits.


Our first distribution site was in Gogo, just over an hour’s drive from Dar es Salaam. We arrived to crowds of excited children and parents, waiting in anticipation. Well… they weren’t the only ones excited, so were we!


Team Tanzania 2017 is half distribution newbies, and half veterans. Working together, we soon found our distribution groove, and did a lot of high-fives with the children along the way. As a newbie myself, I was fortunate enough to help out in an array of distribution tasks. But by far, the most special task I performed was interviewing parents and children who had just received bedkits.


With a strong focus on sleep habits and quality of sleep, I was able to connect one-on-one with nine families. Mothers, fathers, grandmothers and their children spoke with me (with translation help from Benjamin) about their lives and how well they sleep at night, prior to receiving a bedkit. I learned more about these families than I ever anticipated, holding back my emotions as I was moved by their stories and inspired by their strength.


What a wonderful start to our distribution journey here in Tanzania. My cheeks already hurt from smiling so much, and I can’t wait to get started on day two! 

Lyndsay Wallis for Team Tanzania 2017
Post your comments here: